Six kids in the last two weeks have showed up in the Emergency Room in Munson Medical Center in Traverse City after smoking an incense known as K2.
The product is legal, but the Grand Traverse County Health Department says it’s not safe.
Teens think they will be getting a marijuana-type high but the health department says often times that’s not the case.
“It has kind of an opposite effect,” says Alicia Classens, Nurse Practitioner at the Youth, Health, and Wellness Center. “It can produce hallucinations, rapid heart rate, sometimes even seizures, so people are ending up in the emergency room.”
One head shop in the area says they have sold K2 in the past but they currently do not sell it.
The owner says he will reconsider putting it on the shelves after learning of the effect it’s causing.
9&10′s Ryan Raiche and Photojournalist Ben Talarico have the story.
From 9and10news.com, June 23rd, 2010