Tobacco News

Home » smoking hookah » Bradford shisha lounge late licence bid refused

Bradford shisha lounge late licence bid refused

February 14th, 2012 Posted in smoking hookah Buy cheap cigarettes online Tags:

shisha lounge late
A Bradford shisha lounge has been refused a licence to hold a late-night Valentine’s ball this weekend.

Shaid Iqbal had hoped to host the event for couples at the Marhaba Lounge in Thornton Road, which he runs.

He applied to Bradford Council for a temporary event notice to allow entertainment and refreshments until 3am on Saturday, February 18. But his bid drew objections from police licensing officers who feared “unlawful activities” had taken place at the lounge in January when a private party was being held there. The police used their powers to close the venue that night and investigations are continuing.

Mr Iqbal previously told the Telegraph & Argus that his mobile phone had been stolen so had not been aware the police were trying to contact him to sort out any concerns they might have.

However, Bradford Licensing Panel heard that police licensing officer PC Su Dawson had attempted to contact Mr Iqbal on a number of occasions, to no avail.

PC Dawson said she would routinely ask for a risk assessment to be completed for a temporary event notice, but without any contact from Mr Iqbal, this had been impossible.

She added that it was only the second time the police had objected to a temporary event notice since 2005.

“I have serious concerns about the running of the Marhaba Lounge. This is a poorly-run club and what with the previous problems, it is a recipe for disorder.”

Mr Iqbal told the licensing panel that CCTV was installed at the premises and that doorstaff would be employed on the night of the event.

He added that they would not be serving alcohol and that the previous event in January, which was advertised on the internet, was not advertised by him.

Councillor John Ruding, the chairman of the panel, said they had decided to uphold the police objections in light of the evidence presented and the lack of communication with the police.

Comments are closed